On our way to Europe we stopped in Rockford, IL for my nephew’s wedding. In the last 10 days, he graduated from Iowa State, turned 23, received his commissioning as a Second Lieutenant Marine, got married, and is moving to Quantico, VA. Just hearing this story made me feel very lazy and very thirsty. And being I was in Rockford, NOT Chicago, my wine choices were limited. So I sipped what there was and became an observer of the habits of Rockfordians.
- They drink Manischewitz on the rocks
- They were drinking boxed wine long before it was cool.
- “I love that shit” can refer to a lot of things including wine.
- “Hey…… stuff is falling out of your dress” refers to car keys, cell phone, cash, credit cards, other people’s cash, keys and credit cards, lip gloss, and a microphone – probably a small child, a fruit salad and the neighbor’s cat, which was stuffed down the front of one of the bridesmaid’s long, purple satin dresses for safekeeping.
- “You’re not watching what I’m watching” refers to The German talking to me in his sleep, then jolting upright from the dream.